awkwordly

all hearthfires & holocausts

eating books. bleeding words.

Wonder
Maggie Stiefvater
Undying (Undying, #1)
Cyndy Aleo

Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion I should not have liked this book. For starters, it's about zombies. And as you may or may not know, most books about zombies contain a fair amount of gore (shocking, right?), and Warm Bodies is no exception. I'm not so much a fan of the throat ripping, blood spurting, etc. Added to that, this is also a book with a Message. And that Message is not exactly subtle--it's really more of the brick to forehead variety. And nothing makes my eyes roll more, in most cases.So, for me to not only enjoy Warm Bodies, but fall in love with it a little bit was kind of a big deal for me. Marion did an excellent job of creating a character that you can't help but love. Even when he's tearing someone's throat out and cracking their skull open and chomping on their brain. Even when he saves pieces of said brain as a snack for later. I mean, ew. I should have been thoroughly repulsed.Instead, I was enamored with R's humanity, the depth of his feeling and his hunger to be more. Whatever else I can say about the plot (I have to be honest, I still don't understand much of what happened at the end), I fell for R and the movement he created in a big way. However heavy handed the messaging was, it was still one that resonated with me. This is one of those ratings where I don't think it necessarily deserves four stars from a purely objective standpoint, but I can't quite bring myself to rate it any lower.