awkwordly

all hearthfires & holocausts

eating books. bleeding words.

Wonder
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Undying (Undying, #1)
Cyndy Aleo
Divergent  - Veronica Roth ~I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.~Admittedly, I (like everyone else) am always on the look out for the next Hunger Games. Whether it be in the same dystopian vein or not, I'm constantly looking for something--anything--that will grip me by the throat the way that series did. Make me love and hate characters and circumstance with equal measure and with a fervor that probably borders on unhealthy for fictional characters. Make my blood race, my breaths catch, my hands flail with the delicious tension of it all, and my heart constrict and ache and go pitter pat in the soft moments. Divergent is not that book, unfortunately, but it comes much closer than any other dystopian lit I've read since The Hunger Games. The society Roth built is original, if not entirely plausible. The characters for the most part were strong, well thought out and three dimensional. The plot at times felt needlessly intense--there are about 300 pages of what felt like non-stop action--but it was entertaining and gripping and interesting. I think, for me, what was missing in this book was heart. While I undoubtedly enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next installment, I never completely fell in love with the characters. I appreciated and identified in some ways with Tris' identity struggles, but at times it felt she swung too far to one extreme and I couldn't entirely justify her cruelty and selfishness. I loved Four, I thought he was the most likable character in the story, but I never really fell for them as a couple. Something was off with the chemistry.All of that being said (and said in retrospect), I did give it four stars. It's one of the best books I've read this year. I couldn't put it down and felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack every few pages. It's entertaining and well written and I think (hope) a great start to a fantastic series. This is how dystopian lit should be done, and I hope Ally Condie is taking notes.