awkwordly

all hearthfires & holocausts

eating books. bleeding words.

Wonder
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Undying (Undying, #1)
Cyndy Aleo
Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone - Kat Rosenfield I was three pages into Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone when I looked up from the page and said to myself--out loud, mind you, because that's the kind of person I am (crazy)--"holy moly, I'm going to love this book."And I was right.Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone starts off with a sex scene--you know, like you do in YA. Except, rather than being written in the hushed and titillating tones of most stories, when sex is the climax rather than the opener, it is written in a way that is raw and gritty and a little uncomfortable in its reality. And eventually, sad. Sad in a way that reached inside me and twisted up parts that are still a little tender and bruised. Sad in the way the best writers can punch you in the stomach with how accurately and beautifully they can describe the pain.Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone tells the story of Rebecca, and how the night of her high school graduation changed everything. It is an almost ethereal kind of murder mystery, switching back and forth between Becca and Amelia's points of view. It keeps you guessing, even when you are as sure as Rebecca who the killer is. To me, it is the story of how growing up--moving on, moving away, chasing your future--can feel like a death. How the person you are trying to become must first murder the person you used to be. Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone is a beautifully written story of first love, loss, murder, and the pain of moving on.