awkwordly

all hearthfires & holocausts

eating books. bleeding words.

Wonder
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Undying (Undying, #1)
Cyndy Aleo
Paranormalcy - Kiersten White I'm really not sure how to review this properly, to be honest. I think this is the first YA novel I've ever read that is really and truly geared toward actual young adults and not the growing adult audience in the genre. It was really the only time in the last year I've spent immersed in YA that I've not been able to identify with a main character, simply because I felt so much older and more mature than her.Anyway, beyond Evie feeling a bit immature--exactly as immature as a sixteen year old should be--I thought Paranormalcy was very well done. Kiersten White built a believable world within a world (IPCA) and the creatures and lore she used were interesting and diverse. I liked Lend, their burgeoning attracting was cute (though didn't give me the tingles) and that it was built upon--it wasn't an immediate ~connection~ born of fairy dust and hand to hand electrocution. However, Reth was really, really creepy. I understand there is a bit of Team Reth/Team Lend going on and I have to say I don't get it. We didn't know his motivation throughout most of the book, only that what he was doing was against Evie's will and this homie never plays that. We still don't really know his motivations, so he resides firmly in Creepville as far as I'm concerned. Maybe someone else can enlighten me on his appeal. All in all, it was well-written and well-paced and a book I will have no qualms about recommending to younger family members without feeling a little dirty about it.